Monday 28 May 2007

Wet wet wet



What a wet weekend it's been. Started off by picking some of the first rocket for salad on Friday night (as modelled by Rosie). Did most of the work on Sunday. It didn't stop raining all day so I got quite wet and muddy. The first job was to secure my tomatoes. For each growbag, I tied a small stick across the three bamboo poles and then used 4 bricks to weigh it down. They've survived the winds so far so they seem quite sturdy.

Next up I took advantage of the soft soil to push in two stakes and attach the plastic netting for my peas to climb up. I also used small sticks to prop them up in the meantime and keep them away from slugs.
Before lunch we nipped down the garden centre where I got some natural sand slug barrier. I put this round my courgettes after I planted them out in pockets of compost. I also used some round my lettuces and peas. It seems to be working so far - although I did catch one fat slug munching on a leaf that had fallen over it in the rain. I've stepped up the patrols recently and after finding quite a few of the pests on Saturday, numbers seem to be down a bit.
Meanwhile my first runner beans have emerged and my potatoes are beggining to flower. I earthed up around them a bit more.
Finally, if anyone remembers the grub I found in my first post (here) - I found the end product while digging around the spuds. Its a bit worrying though because apparently they eat through things and I thought I'd got rid of them all as I dug the patch over.

2 comments:

ying said...

Congratulations on your veggies!

Its funny, I never thought that reading a blog based on growing veg would interest me but it did!

So good on you!

By the way,slugs from the UK and slugs from Singapore looking really different. -Melissa

Maike & John said...

nice weblog you have here
;)

have fun with your veggies...

...i feel hungry now ;)