Tuesday 22 May 2007

Tomato tumbles, slug security and yet more radishes!

Mini- disaster struck last Monday as I tried to carry my last batch of Tomato and sprout seedlings downstairs to get re-potted, only to slip and watch helpless as they tumbled out of my hands and down the stairs. Thankfully I managed to salvage them all - barring a few torn leaves and a snapped stem which seems to have recovered after repotting. I also managed to get a bag of the cherry variety outside, under the portable greenhouse which I took off the other plants. (below) The stairs were only slightly stained after hoovering and fully recovered after shampoo. I did have to suffer an 'I told you so' though. It could have been worse.

To my further horror last week I also discovered that those pesky slugs have started ripping my baby lettuces apart. I went out on Wednesday night and placed holly leaves around them and re-filled the beer traps. I'm not sure how well they've been working, but I assume some of the floating gunk to be late slugs. With the orange peel and egg shells that Mum's been putting out we now have some beefy defences. (see below)

Something else had ripped up one of my little gem seedlings, so I got my first taste of baby leaf lettuce as well - there's one the slugs definately won't be having! mmmm...

Meanwhile, the corgette seeds I planted are coming aloong nicely and should be ready to go in on Sunday.
I picked some radishes when I got home this evening (Tues) and generally worked out what needs doing this weekend. I was away all last weekend at a juggling festival so haven't done much gardening. There's a lot to do though. Need to build a frame for the peas (which are getting quite big); earth up my spuds; sow some more lettuce, spring onions, beetroot and carrots; put the rest of my tomatoes in grow bags; plant the courgettes; and do some weeding. Should keep me busy over the bank holiday!

No comments: