Saturday 9 February 2008

Buying Seeds

What a glorious day! This afternoon I went down to the Cobham Garden and Horticultural Association's Trading Hut by the Randalls Farm allotments. It's the first time I've actually managed this, although it is only open 2 hours a week between 2 and 4pm on a Saturday.

I was greeted by a really pleasant atmosphere - the fact that everyone comes at the same time every week creates quite a buzz. Everyone was very friendly. I joined the society and bought 7lb of seed potatoes (Winstons or Rockets?) some Marigold and Sunflower seeds to encourage wildlife, as well as lettuce, leek, and parsnip seeds and onion sets. All at dirt cheap prices!

I bumped into one of my former school teachers Aileen and her husband Brian. I may already have mentioned but they have the plot opposite Henry's and mine. Everyone was looking for exactly the same vegetables! On Fri night I drew up a timetable of what needs to go in when, it's just a question of planning where it's all going now!

The Hut didn't have any broad beans because mice have eaten them all so I had to cycle down to a garden centre. I bought 10 raspberry canes while I was there, as well as Meadow flower seeds and a strawberry plant. It felt really expensive after the Trading hut!

When I got home, I put my potatoes in the shed to chit for a while in a bit of compost.

No comments: