Sunday 4 March 2007

Sowing


Had the day off work on Friday, so I took the opportunity to take some photos in the morning and sow my first seeds in the afternoon. Did a row of parsnips (white gem), a row of onions (half hystar, half red baron) and half a row of salad onions. I mixed radish seeds in with the parsnips and onions to act as row markers, because both take a long time to germinate and the radishes will be pulled before they're ready.


I used some seaweed fertiliser to prepare the seed bed, which I had raked over last weekend in preperation. For each row i used two sticks linked with string to mark it out and a trowel to make a 'drill' to plant in. I spaced the seeds out as it says in the book, using a tape measure to get the distances (maybe a bit odd, but I've worked as a surveyor and old habbits die hard!).

Can't wait to see my first shoots!

No comments: